Free AntiRootkit Software
As a complement to a recent post I made here with a list of free online AV scanners, I’d like to share with you a list of free AntiRootkit software for your PC. Especially in light of this past week’s ANI-related malware spate and the new Grum Trojan, you should make sure that you’re always on the lookout for threats. In the past few weeks we’ve seen even more malware that was simply not detected by AV.
Like the AV software list, this is in no particular order, we endorse no one in particular, we offer no warranties or guarantees, and you use these at your own risk.
- RootKit Unhooker
- RootkitRevealer from SysInternals.
- Rootkit Detective from McAfee.
- DarkSpy Anti-Rootkit
- IceSword (also from the X-Focus website)
- Anti-Rootkit from Sophos
- Rootkit Buster (Trend Micro)
- Antirootkit (AVG)
- Bitdefender’s Rootkit Uncover
- Rootkit cleaner from Panda
- Avira Rootkit Detection Beta
- GMER, which is also popular.
- IClean from MooSoft
- Strider GhostBuster from Microsoft
- F-Secure Blacklight, with its trial period extended to October, 2007.
- System Virginity Verifier and other tools from Joanna at Invisible Things.
I hope this list is useful to you. I use a couple of these products regularly on my personal PC and find them invaluable. That said, bear in mind that rootkits are an area of very active research, and people are constantly finding ways to get their rootkit to defeat all known detection mechanisms. Hopefully tools will keep up.
EDITED to add GMER, GhostBuster, IClean, Blacklight, and to change the Panda link based on feedback. Thanks! Edited on April 5 to add SVV.